Events - Event View
This is the "Event Detail" view, showing all available information for this event.
If the event has passed, click the "Event Report" button to read a report and view photos that were uploaded.
Election Reform Team Meeting
Tuesday, August 20, 2019, 4:00 PM until 5:30 PM
2644 S. Timberline Rd.
Ft. Collins, CO 80528
Registration is not Required
The Election Reform Team has three sub-groups: Election Reform, Campaign Finance Reform and Stronger Ethics in Government. In a comprehensive approach, using League positions to advocate and take action, the team works together toward the one common goal of making democracy work for all.
1. Election Reform:
• Advocated for Colorado to pass legislation to join the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact (NPVIC): an agreement among a group of US states and the District of Columbia to award all of their respective 270 electoral votes to whichever presidential candidate wins the overall popular vote.
Sponsors of SB19-042 were Senator Mike Foote, House Reps. Emily Sirorta and Jeni Arndt. The bill passed out of Senate on January 23rd (19-16). Bill passed out of House on Feb. 21st (34-29). Governor Polis signed into law 3/15/19.
• Advocate for Proportional Representation that ensures parties gain seats in proportion to the number of votes cast for them.
• Advocate for alternative voting methods to plurality voting, specifically Rank Choice Voting with Instant Runoff Voting that ensures the winner has majority support.
2. Money in Politics or Campaign Finance Reform
• Advocate for Campaign Finance Reform that supports the public’s right to open and honest elections by providing full and timely disclosure of campaign contributions and expenditures; to curb special-interest soft and dark money; to support public funding of congressional elections for maximum citizen participation.
3. Support policy for Stronger Ethics in Government:
• Support the Anti-Corruption Act: legislation designed to limit the influence of money in American politics by overhauling lobbying, transparency, and campaign finance laws.
The team meets every 3rd Tuesday of the month,
1st Bank, 2644 S. Timberline Rd., Ft. Collins, 4:00pm.
Come visit a great team with members who have lots of experience and knowledge advocating for democracy!